Thursday, August 13, 2015

That's our Dream

The nurturing humidity of Floridian swamps shaped a childhood essentially consisting of a blur of tree climbing, mud stomping and book reading (as my limited attention span allowed). To summarize, the experience solidified a baseline attachment and interest in the wild and natural. Fast forward from childhood and through years of wilderness adventures and we arrive at the present day where I find myself free to explore complex questions about the wild and natural as a Ph.D. student in the Water Resource Program at the University of Idaho. As I head towards a decade of post high school education, a desire to figure out where to head after completing my education is now at the forefront of my thoughts. 

Guided by an entrepreneurial spirit and desire to protect what remains of the wild and natural places in the U.S., my interest in pursuing land conservation initiatives has flourished. Lengthy discussions with my fiancĂ©, led us to developing this brainstorming blog where we can mutually compile our latest ideas about a shared passion for land conservation. Although, like many others, we have entertained the idea of various hybrid land conservation-business schemes for years--mountain bike ranches, off the grid farms, distance running camps and the likes--the idea has only recently become one that I am prepared to seriously pursue.  

A year working at the Weeks Bay Foundation, a small non-profit land trust in lower Alabama, makes me no stranger to the complexities of land conservation. A trip to the University of Idaho Library marked the beginning of our more formal adventures to make our land conservation dreams a reality. This blog simply provides a median to document our many discoveries.     

No comments:

Post a Comment